This past weekend was the first stage race for most of us amatures> the tour of Coneticut! I am late as usual , trying to pack everything in the car 5.00 am and then pick up John Landino in Ridgewood >it was not happening , too much stuff since we were staying over night . TT bike , wheels and bags and my kitchen . Key thing when you are on the road . If you want to eat what you like > bring it !! Saves a lot of time and money , but also no surprises! We get on the road almost 45 min late > John wants coffee from Duncan D's , but the first one we hit has a mile long line , so we decide to keep going ! We see a sign for Ducan D's on 684 and we get off> well we really get off course > after driving 10 mile in the wrong direction we finally find it > long line > great!!
We find our way back to the highway and next thing>you guessed it right > bathroom stop> this was quick , but now we are really late ! We get to Winstead, CT and now we just have to find the race ! Eneas from Targetraining pulls up and he thinks it should be down the road> he was right !! So much for the GPS my wife gave to me for my birthday a few days ago!
John has less than one hour to get ready > I start later , so I got plenty of time !
I brought the trainer , but desided not to use it> there was a nice road to warm up , which I always prefer if I have the option > I absolutly hate the trainer ! This is only the 3rd time I am riding the Ridley Dean TT bike , first race , it should be interesting ! Mark & Allan @ Westwood Cycle went out of their way as usual to get this bike finished and ready for this weekend > Like I said before , without them > I probably would not be racing at all! It feels fast and everything seems to work , so I spend about 30 min for warm up > legs are a little heavy , but nothing I am worried about .
Before the warm up I usually do my whole preparation ritual > Sports Balm start oil on my legs , drink some Amp (Mountain Dew) some other sports drink , eat some cliffbar , put all the gear on, the super sonic skinsuit ( litte wird in my opinion ,but suposely fast as hell) shoe covers ( do the really work ?? that is the question) drink some more Amp and then last the Uvex areo helmet , very cool and super light > I always wonder what this thing would do if I crashed ?? Some more Amp and then ride to the line > wirrrrrred!! One more gel and about to puke , but now it is go time !
The first mile of a TT is always hell, but once you get going >it is all good !! Took almost to the turn around intil the legs finaly opened up > Boy does this Bike feel fast when you get up to speed!! On the way back I catch 3 guys > I do not know if this means anything> I am going fast or they are just slow > do not know them ! Good second half and the fit on the new bike was pretty good > a couple tweeks here and there as expected > but a nice "Rocket Ship" >3rd place , 14 sec off the lead > not too bad! I am happy , but not my best TT of my life ( can not remeber if I ever had one)
Circuit ( or circus ) race is next! It is shorth, but when it is just me, myself and my Giant ( no team mates) you have to be on your toes! I did think this was a pretty hard race > the funny thing is that guys that you do not really see in the road race and probably a few minutes down on GC now all of a sudden mixing it up . I hate to say it but it makes it more dangerous and little enoying . I do not feel that sparky in this race at all , since there is no time bonuses > let's keep it together! I stretched out a few times , but nothing to talk about > Will Dugan wins, perfect timing of his attack > congrats!
Now it is pretty late ( almost past my bed time , remember I am old ) We meet up with Troy , Rob L , Andreas and Monica at a pretty nice outside Italian place call Baci. Food is good and a glas of wine was a nice reward for the days efforts!!
Back to Quality Inn (the only quality about this place is the price OR NOT> too expencive ) and some Cake and Ice bath before bed is on tap! The ice bath really helps recover , but painful if the water is cold enough . Pull your compression socks on and lights out> it will be a long day tomorrow for everybody!
I brought my laptop with me , I figured I would catch up on some work , but it never fails! Not much extra time and the only thing I really had time for was check who won that days stage in the Giro > Gilbert! When you are on the road , my wife always asks me what I am going to do with all that free time I have in between races. What free time ?? I always tell her I will go to the Mall or the Movies or just chill at the Pool! Yeah right , there is just about enough time to eat and sleep , besides running around lugging your bike and bags in and out of the hotel!
Road race , what should be the plan here?? Well , we roll out and Robbie King asks me if I am "the Roger" > I guess I am !! I do not know anybody else that would be?? Maybe Hammond?? Anyway he as a brother racing the Giro and he has the same cool wheels as me >Mavic Ultimate Carbon . Super expensive , but stiff and light that accelerate like nothing else! 10 miles into the race a few guys surge over a climb and I follow because the race leader Eneas is there as well> Tuns out it is Robbie, Will D , Dan Bowman from Kelly, Dan Vallancourt, so basicly the 6 stongest guys in the race only Josh Dillon and Hoag missed it !
Looks good we are going so fast I can barely breath and we gain some time quickly ! Nobody misses a pull and we are gone . I knew it is only Bikereg/Cannondale that would chase ( maybe CCNS ) , so basicly I am in 2nd now on the road . The course was by no means flat > it was up and down going mach speed! I start feeling better as we go , thank God!! Everything is going smooth and we are going down a long decent and Robbie tells me Eneas is gone <> Eneas is back , just a wheel change ! We get to about 20 miles to go and the pace car is telling us a small group is bridgeing > who can that be ? a 3 min gap! Yes it is Dillon and Hoag , now the top six is all at the front of the race ! 10 K to go the attacks starts <> I am still tired and today is Friday.Tomorrow I have to do an other 85 mile race with the same animals ! It was a cool race and I am very satisfied the way it went >a nice build up to bigger things!
This week was pretty uneventfull> Mon Recovery ride on TT bike ( make some adjustments ) Tues Recovery ride on Power Carnks , Wed sandbagged the groupride (still very tired legs) Thurs > ride the Wed group ride loop , felt a little better> then go watch the Thursday night World at Rockleigh ( felt much better watching than riding) Today rain > hoping to get a short ride in at some point !!
I am picking up my FinKraft Adidas rain jackets from the printer, so I might have to try them out ! If nothing else good happend this week I got to spend some fun time with my daughter and I worked on my office as well > new desk ( well used , on a budget) and my new Lenova computer set up > this thing is just so fast and cool( almost like the Dean) . Monica , thanks for the IBM hook up!!! So the business is moving along slowly , but in a good direction > I always try to remind myself how lucky I am to be able to do what I really like ! Just taking it slow> step by step!!
Thanks for reading this extreamly long blog and until next time > race Hard!!!
Race Report: PPTC Al Goldstein Speed Series 5K, 12 August 2026, Brooklyn
-
by Paul Thompson Prerace This proved to be one of those races I’d prefer to
forget and move on from. Quickly. On the eve of the race the omens were not
goo...
4 weeks ago

No comments:
Post a Comment